The Global System for Mobile Communications Association (GSMA) released its “2021 China Mobile Economic Development Report” on February 22.
We’ve pulled out some key points about the state of 5G in China and across the world:
- The number of 5G connections in China exceeded 200 million in 2020, accounting for 87% of connections globally.
- As of January 2021, there were 144 5G commercial networks in 57 countries around the world. Total 5G connections worldwide reached approximately 235 million.
- The number of 5G connections in China is expected to reach 822 million in 2025.
- The rapid transition to 5G in China means that 4G applications have reached their peak. China’s 4G penetration rate declined for the first time in 2020.
- By 2025, 4G will account for 53% of China’s total connections, while 5G will account for 47%.
Read more about 5G in China: